Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Navidad



Many of you know how much I love Christmas and decorating for Christmas. The lady that I am staying with found out that I make wreaths. She asked me if I could make a center piece for her table. We went to the "Salon de Navidad" to get the stuff. They have a limited selection of things to make wreaths with, but I found some good stuff.


I made a center piece (pictured right) and a wreath for the door (below). She asked me if I could make two small wreaths for her husbands office as well.


I feel so at home now because this is something I love to do. She helped me some and we had a good time. They also have a christmas tree in the house so it really feels like Christmas. And I bought some Ecuadorian Christmas music.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, which is not a holiday here. So it is kind of like I skipped Thanksgiving and moved right into Christmas season. I learned that normally they put up their Christmas decorations on November 10, I am not sure why. So most of the people here are all ready for Christmas.
As for New Years, they don't celebrate New Years, they celebrate "ano viejo" or old year on Dec 31. The parties last until 4 or 5 am and New Year's day is just a day for sleeping. So in a way it is the same as far as the parties are on Dec 31, but the focus is different. We in the States celebrate the year that is coming, they celebrate the year that has past.

No comments: