Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cajas National Park


Today I went on an excursion with the school to Cajas National Park. This park is up in the Andes at 11,000 feet elevation. The temperature was about 45 degrees and it rained all day.
For Americans (especially those who live at sea level) it is difficult to breathe up there. We did a lot of hiking (about 4 hours) and walking through water (because it was raining) and mud. I think I fell in the mud 3 times.
We ate lunch in a cave because it was raining. I didn't see any spiders and believe me, I looked.
There is a special type of tree that grows in Cajas (this is the only place in the world where it grows). It is called Polylepiz. These trees were very important to us today as we were hiking in the mud and many times when I thought I was going to fall, I would grab onto the tree.
When I got home, I was soaking wet and full of mud. I had to throw my socks away and my clothes, shoes, and jacket went straight into the wash. Inspite of all this, it was a good day.
Cajas is a great place to enjoy God's creation, it is beautiful and complex.

1 comment:

Kristin Baker said...

Your hair is getting long!