Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Cuenca


Cuenca is the city I am currently living in. Cuenca is in the Andes mountains. It is a beautiful city with lots of culture. Here in this photo you can see the top of the new cathedral, which is in the center of downtown. Many fiestas are held in the park that is right in front of the cathedral.
Cuenca is a mostly catholic city with cathedrals being a main focus point. On any given day at any given time (when the cathedral is open) there are many people inside praying to the saints and leaving there candles and flowers.
Lately in my conversation class we have been discussing the religious aspects of Cuenca. It has been an interesting discussion as the class currently consists of me (protestant) and 2 catholics (one from Ecuador, the professor, and one from Germany). The discussion often turns to the evangelical churches which are now present in Cuenca as well. I have enjoyed our discussions, and have learned some about the catholic religion here in Ecuador as well.
As you can see, Cuenca is a beautiful city. I like it alot which is why I am here for the 4th time!

2 comments:

sister sunshine said...

Wow that is beautiful. Do you find at all that you are feeling more...comfortable or at home there than here? Or do you get homesick?

Kristin Baker said...

Gorgeous! We had a pretty sunset a couple of weeks ago. Click on my name and visit my blog to see. No mountains and cathedrals, just clouds, but still . . . God is a good painter.