Friday, October 26, 2007

Cuy

Cuy is Ginea Pig, this is a delicatessen here in Ecuador. I have been in Ecuador 4 times and I have not eaten Cuy until last night. I have to say overall it was not a good experience.

We had a farewell dinner for the team of American doctors who were leaving to go back to the states. Several of them wanted Cuy so we went to a place that was known for their Cuy.

First, the way the cook Cuy. They remove all the hair and take out all the insides. They load them on a stick (usually 3 at a time). The stick comes out their mouth. They are then cooked over charcoal rotissere style.

It arrived on our table all cut up, basically cut down the middle then in pieces about 3 inches. The head was on the plate as well, and all the legs, still with feet. The mouth still had teeth in it. I was told you have to eat it as soon as you get it because the longer it sits, the worse it gets.

I tried a piece that had ribs. Not much meat on this part and a lot of bones. It tasted like smoked ham, but fake ham, more like bologna maybe. Not horrible, but not really good either. Then the skin, very crunchy, salty (from seasonings I am assuming). The skin I had a hard time with mentally. I only tried one piece, then I was done.

It is an experience I can say I am glad I had, but I hope to never have again. I really had chicken for dinner, that was just something I tried.

I think the thought of eating Cuy was actually worse than eating it. It just didn't taste that good, and I only had a hard time with the skin.

2 comments:

Squeda's said...

Hey becky,

So you finally went and tasted the CUY, More guts than me... Just think you are one step closer to FEAR FACTOR.

Kristin Baker said...

Two words--eee ooo!