Friday, October 19, 2007

first impressions of language school

I just completed my first week of spanish language classes. I would have to say it has been interesting. I have studied spanish in the past, but always in the states with teachers who were native Americans. The teachers I have now are native spanish speakers, and do not speak much english. When I do not understand something, they will explain it in spanish not in english. Many of the other students do not speak english either, many speak german. So we can't even help each other except in spanish. Right now it is a little frustrating, but in the long run I think it will prove to be a good way to learn a language.

Right now I go to class all morning, then I have about 1 hour of homework. I usually spend a little more time just going over vocabulary. But, I have to speak spanish all the time because I do not have much contact right now with people who speak english, that has been good for me as well. I am no longer afraid to try, I either try, or I don't talk and we all know that is not going to happen.

We do some fun things at the school as well. This week we went to a museum about the history and culture of Ecuador. We had dance class where we learned salsa. We also had a cooking class, but I did not go to that class.

Overall it has been a good experience thus far.

2 comments:

Kristin Baker said...

Yet another reason you are my friend . . . you chose bailar over cocinar! Man, I miss you!

Winifred said...

had to look up your mail address via my gmail so i ended up surfing to your blog. am sending u reading materials as requested.

u know me and prayer so i cant say the usual stuff - but i'm working on it.

luv winifred