Tuesday, October 16, 2007

reflections

Today I would like to reflect on a book and a scripture. I don't read very much for fun because I am usually so busy working or reading for work that I don't take the time (and let's not forget my busy social life).

Right now, I have a lot of free time. I only have class from 7:45 am to 12 noon, with only about one hour of homework. So, I have had time to read.

First the scripture, Job 37:14 "...stand still and consider the wondrous works of God." This is my favorite verse these days for a couple reasons. "The Wondrous works of God" makes me think about nature and nature is one of the major ways I worship. So this verse reminds me to worship. Then the "stand still" part. Like I said above, my work and my busy social life many times take presidence over my relationship. This verse reminds me that I need to stop what I am doing and be still in order to see the works of God. When I am soo busy, I let the world pass me by and that includes creation. This also reminds me that when we are so busy, we can easily miss what God is doing or trying to do in our lives or the lives of those around us.

Now the book. I just read "More Ready Than You Realize" by Brian McLaren. I recommend this book to everyone. It is about evangelism, but not how most of us think about evangelism. Believe it or not, I read this book in 3 days, that maybe a record for me. The main point is that we have to change the way we think about evangelism, or the opportunities God is bringing our way may go overlooked. We have to be friends with nonchristians or they may never see what christianity is all about. I have often had thoughts about how people who are not christians should not be allowed to serve in a church. But isn't this basically keeping them as outsiders? How will they really see what we are all about if we don't let them participate, if we don't let them in. Please read the book, and then lets dialogue about it. I want to hear your thoughts as well.

Now just a few funny things I have experienced since I came to Ecuador. We went to a restaurant and on our way out they gave us a cough drop instead of mints??? We ordered pizza (at Pizza Hut) with choriazo which is sausage but it really had hot dog on it??? I had some hot milk, but it tasted like melted butter (that was the worst one)???

And a sad note, my lizard, Ester, the one who lost her tail for those of you who know, died this AM. She was sick before I left and I knew it was only a matter of time, but I am sad just the same.

5 comments:

sister sunshine said...

I will add it to the long books I mean to read eventually. I'm glad you will be back in 2 months, we completely missed your send off even though we intended on going! Things have been...interesting lately, but hey, it's all in Gods hands. So I want to see you when you're back!!

Matt Bortmess said...

Becky...
First off...I'm so sorry about Ester. For all my jokes about that tail,

Matt Bortmess said...

oops...didn't finish the post!

I did tease you a lot about that tail falling off incident! But I'm sad she ended up dying...

Glad to stay connected with you this way. I'll add you to my regular blog roll!!!

Matt

Kristin Baker said...

Sorry about Ester. Sounds like you're on a great adventureboth geographically and spiritually! Thanks for the much needed reminder to put God first even in the midst of a busy lifestyle. See ya in a couple of months!

bobszoke said...

Hay Beck. I've read some of McLaren and heard him speak a few years ago. Quite a guy. You are in my prayers. Will keep praying for you, cause I know that works. I guess my comment for the day would be to help me see what Jesus sees through your eyes in Ecuador.