Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cangrejos for dinner


For Carnaval, my family decided we were going to eat Crab. She went out in the morning and bought 36 live crabs and brought them home to clean them. I got out of bed just in time to watch a part of the cleaning. It was amusing. There was a bucket of already cleaned crabs crawling on each other. Then there were those in the water waiting to be cleaned. Trying to escape from all directions, and they were fast. She explained to me that she removed the stomachs with the poop in them so that when it was time to eat, you could eat every part because it was all cleaned.

When we got ready to eat, I asked how we do this. The table was covered with newspaper, everyone was given a wooden cutting board and a wooden mallet. But for the most part we just used out teeth to break the shell. And the mom actually ate part of the shell too. They didn't crack to many legs open, they just broke them at the joints and sucked the meat and juice out. I had a hard time with that part. I ate 2 crabs (just the legs because I had a hard time with the head too), others in the family ate 8. It was an eventful meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm....eek. How do you transport 36 live crabs home anyways? And I didn't know that their poop is in their stomachs either. Live and learn I guess. Now I guess you can brag about eating crab (that you observed being cleaned and killed)
~candy