Sunday, January 27, 2008

Proverbs 3:27

" Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act."

This verse has been very important in my life. When I was trying to decide whether to come to Ecuador or not, I heard a sermon on this verse. The preacher interpreted the verse for many different stages of life. One being for the person contemplating foreign missions. "When it is in your power to act", single, no kids, a mission board that wants me, an organization that will pay my loans. I think at this time in my life it is definitely in my power to act. "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it", God says to love your neighbor, love includes doing good for others, and my neighbor is anyone I come in contact with. The people of Shell, Ecuador are now my neighbors, and they deserve good.

This sermon was very pivotal in my decision to come to Ecuador. I remember sitting in church that Sunday thinking about what I should do (because during that time, it was all I thought about). When the preacher starting talking about people doing foreign missions, I knew God was talking to me and telling me to go. This is when I made my decision to go.

This past week, in the bible study book I am currently using ("taking the Old Testament Challenge" by Judson Poling), this verse came up again. This time with a slightly different interpretation. He says "Guided by the Holy Spirit, use you power to cheer a friend, influence a child, take a stand for integrity, or encourage a coworker."

Isn't it interesting how the same verse can mean so many different things depending on the stage of life you are in. This interpretation is what I needed for this stage in my life, the other was what I needed for that stage.

Our God is Awesome!!!!!!

Whatever stage you are in, ask the Lord to show you what this verse means for you right now. It can be very powerful, even life changing!

3 comments:

Kristin Baker said...

Great advice!

Kristin Baker said...

Were you involved in helping with the bus accident victims? I need to be praying for you and your co- workers more often!

http://thekoleskisonmission.blogspot.com/2008/01/grizzly-day_27.html

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how God packs so much message into so few words!

A few weeks ago, we had a visitor to our church. She told me after the service that "Jesus brought me here this morning."

To which I replied, "Oh really? Well, I'm certainly glad He did!"

Then she looked right at me and said, "Because He knew I needed to hear what you had to say." It was mind-blowing! It completely opened my eyes to how God can use anyone - even a big ol' dork like me. And it was a very real reminder of the power of the Scriptures and how they pierce us where we need to be pierced!

Praying for you and your ministry!