Friday, January 11, 2008

I got lost

Many may have heard me say in the past that I never get lost because I can always get back to where I came from. Well, this was still true the day I "got lost" in Cuenca. I take spanish classes in the morning at a school and I also take classes a few afternoons a week at a lady's house. Well, this particular day, I was walking to her house for the first time. I had gotten directions I understood from my family here. But I was in a different spot when it was time to walk there so I asked another friend for directions. I set out on my walk and I was to go past Supermaxi and continue walking straight until I came to a main road and I would turn left. Well, I passed Supermaxi and came to what I considered a dead end. There was an alley like road ahead of me, but that to me was not a road so I turned left. The next instruction was I would cross 10 de agosto (this is a main road in Cuenca). I never came to that road so I called Loli (the lady whose house I was going to) and told her I was walking and I did not know where I was (of course they were doing construction on the corner, so there were no street names posted. I was standing next to a new building that was big with blue glass windows and orange walls. I wanted her to tell me which direction to walk to get to her house, but she said "I know where you are, wait for me there", so I did. About 20 minutes later, I was thinking about calling her again because I knew I should not have been 20 minutes from her house on foot, let alone by vehicle. I then received a call from my family here asking me where I was. Loli had called her and told her I was lost and that something happened at Loli's house and she couldn't have class that afternoon anyway. So I described where I was to her on the phone and she found me about 15 minutes later.
The whole time I was standing on the corner (which was about 40 minutes or so), it was lightning and thundering. I thought for sure I was going to get poured on. And, of course, I had to go to the bathroom as well.
Everything turned out fine, and now I do know how to walk to her house so this won't happen again. They do make fun of me a little though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a girl who always gets lost I can empathize with you. I got lost on my way to the Dr office today. The road I needed was closed and I had to find another way. OK, not quite the same but I was 10 min late to work as a result of it all.
~Candy

Kristin Baker said...

Too bad Dora the Explorer is a fictional character, she could have helped with the directions and the Spanish . . . :)