Saturday, July 19, 2008

Uh...Where's your bug thing?

So, I am afraid of spiders, so a couple of my friends bought me a bug wand for Christmas one year. This has been the greatest gift. It is about 2 feet long with a vacuum type suction on one end. You are supposed to suck the bug into the tube and then take it outside and let it go. Well, needless to say, this wonderful gift traveled with me to Ecuador.
This morning I got up at 5:30 to go to aerobics. My roommate who normally sleeps till at least 8 was sleeping on the couch so she woke up as well. I was in the bathroom and she approached me and asked me where my bug thing was. I asked her why, she said "we" needed it. Again I asked her why. She said, "there's a tarantula" and doubled over laughing. I said, "where?" she said it was in her bathroom. I told her that a tarantula was not going to fit in the bug wand. So I went to look, and sure enough, there was a tarantula in her bathroom. It was wedged in the corner between the bathtub and the wall.
I said, "well, good luck with that, I am off to aerobics." Of course, she would not let me leave. We did not know what we were going to do. It was not even 6 am, who could we call? I looked all around at the other missionary houses to see if any lights were on, nope.
I got the bright idea to call the hospital and ask the housekeeping person to come. So we did, and he came with a large tweezer type thing, he picked it up and carried it outside.
Since it was so small, I asked DeNise if she thought it could be a baby, and did that mean the mother was in our house somewhere too?? We shall see!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, that is a baby??? Oh my is all I can say--I hope momma don't show up!! Hugs--Laura

Anonymous said...

That spider freaks me out; I can't handle bugs/spiders with fur!
-Sarah SzoLow
*How are tarantulas 'extinguished' anyway? Surely you can't just step on it, can you?

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

I am glad to see the bug sucker upper still works.....I will see if I can get a bigger one to send to you. I don't know how you do it. Those spiders are HUGE.