Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thats a big pig

This weekend I went with a couple friends to Banos. We were doing some shopping and we saw this pig in a restaurant. Of course we had to stop to take some pictures. Be sure you don't miss the best part, the bowl under it to catch all the blood that was dripping out.
The guy was skinning it as we walked up. They take the skin and a thin layer of the fat and they grill or fry it (kind of like pork rinds, but not crunchy). Talk about calories.

After this adventure, we went to the hot springs. Banos is well known for it's hot spring pools. We were given strict instruction from friends. DO NOT go before 6 pm, during the day, there are a ton of people and sometimes, diapers or poop floating. At 5 pm they close the pools and clean them, refill them and reopen at 6 pm. Therefore, DO NOT go before 6 pm. These pools are more like large hot tubs. I was never very intrigued by the thought, but my friends wanted to go, so I thought, one time, I should do it. So we went around 7 pm. When they said there were fewer people in the evening, I believed them. Well, just picture it, the pool is about 20 ft X 15 ft, we counted, there were 75 people in there. It was basically a crowded, public hot tub. I did not want to get in, but I did it so I can check it off my list. So, we are entering, of course, we are the only white people there so everyone is staring at us. The best part, the water is this brownish/green color, you can not see your legs under the water, not even one inch under the water. It was really gross. We didn't stay long, but we had paid $2 a piece, so my friends wanted to at least get our money's worth. I can say that I do plan to go back some day. I will pay the $2 to get in just to take pictures (I didn't take my camera this time because we were all getting in the water and there was no one to watch it). I have no plans of ever getting back in that water. But the pictures will be priceless!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - you forgot to tell about us having to shower publicly with a bunch of Ecuadorian men who we didn't even know before we entered the hot pools!! Of course we were all in our bathing suits, but it was still disturbing. Hmmm...the things we have to do to fit in with the culture :-) DeNise and Hannah

Anonymous said...

Ewwww, so gross!!!!! Please tell me you took a shower after the dip in the pool. ha ha