Monday, June 2, 2008

Steve Szoke (June 1, 1975 - May 27, 2008)


What do I think about when I think about Steve? Elementary school and Junior high, when my sister and I would go over to the Szokes' house, Cindy and Sarah would be upstairs playing dolls or house, and Steve and I would be downstairs playing GI Joe or wresting figures, somehow Steve always won. High school, my sister and I would go over to the Szokes' house, Cindy and Sarah would be inside baking or playing with make-up, Steve and I would be outside, with other friends, wrestling or in the house playing Super Mario World, somehow, Steve always won, but he sure did teach me how to hold my own (thanks Steve!).

In 2007, Steve was lead pastor in the launch of Impact Christian Church. The vision for this church was to be church that was open to everyone, a place where anyone could feel welcome. Steve rented an old warehouse, advertised at his wrestling events, and formed a core group of people to be Impact Christian Church. Every Sunday Steve would preach in jeans, no one had to feel like they were not good enough for this church, everyone was welcome. Impact Christian Church holds a special place in my heart because several of my friends who were not attending church previously now attend regularly and love it. Thanks Steve!

Steve touched many people in his short 32 years, this was demonstrated by the very long line at his wake. The hundreds of people whose lives Steve was somehow involved in. I am grateful to have been one of those. I hope that I can tell God's story to even a fraction of the people that Steve did, and show them that they don't have to be a certain way or have a certain job, or wear certain clothes before God will love them. God loves you just the way you are!!

Photo: Steve, Candy, and Jada Szoke October 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those people in line. He married my wife and I, and I wrestled with him the LWF. I did get chance to see him preach at the chruch he used to work at in Joliet, but never went to an Impact service. Looking back at it, I wish I would have seen the saftey line Jesus was throwing me when I met Steve..but my sin nature blinded me. I wish I was able to get to know him better, and that I was there as a Christian brother when he needed one the most. I know I will see him again, I just hope he's ready to tag me in when I get there! Miss you STEVE-O!