Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beryl Koch (Nov 18, 1919 - March 6, 2008)


Beryl was an angel sent by God to participate in the lives of so many people. She was always helping, always serving, always showing God's love to those around her. Some of my fondest memories of Beryl are the way she told stories of Jesus using a pan of rice when I was in preschool and kindergarten, making fuzzy lambs in VBS, her winning the watermelon seed spitting contest at a church picnic in the Szoke's backyard (this little tiny lady and she could outspit big boys), having high school youth group at her house when she didn't have any children or grandchildren in the youth group and making us homemade donuts (and lots of them because there were lots of big boys in our youth group). I remember she always brought fresh flowers from her garden to decorate the church sanctuary and Sarah Szoke and I always got to take them home. Some of these things may seem so trivial or just normal daily activities, but they made an impression on me and we will never know how many other people these trivial things made an impression on as well. I have surely learned many lessons from Beryl's life, one big one is when serving the Lord, no matter how trivial or mundane the act may seem, someone may be eternally touched. I am thankful to the Lord that I was able to share my life with Beryl. I will truly miss her but I know I will see her again some day and what a day of rejoicing that will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve and I were very sad to hear about her passing too. She was a great lady!
~Candy

sister sunshine said...

Oh I just saw this! Makes me sad. I still make her donuts regularly from the recipe your mother gave me. And I think of her every time.